Veterans/Dependents Benefits

Saint Mary's College of California is a Yellow Ribbon School and is approved for the training of Veterans and their eligible dependents under the Department of Veteran Affairs.


How to Apply

Step 1a.) In order to use your benefits at Saint Mary's College, you must apply with the Admissions Office of your school/program of interest:

Step 1b.) If you haven't yet, please visit the Veteran Affairs website to apply for benefits.  This step should be done simultaneously with step 1a, as VA processing is sometimes delayed.

Veterans/Dependents may be eligible for one of the following categories:

Step 2.) The VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility, of which a copy must be sent to Attn: VA Certifying Official in the Registrar's Office.  Please turn in this form, even if you are still awaiting your acceptance decision from Saint Mary's.

Step 3.) Once we have your Certificate of Eligibility AND you are enrolled in classes at Saint Mary's, we will begin reporting your enrollment to the VA so you receive benefits.

Financial Aid

You can receive both VA educational benefits and financial aid by filling out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  You maybe be eligible for federal, state and/or institutional grants, loans, and scholarships in addition to your VA educational benefits.  In some cases, your financial aid can be affect by your VA educational benefits, but by filling out the FAFSA, you will maximize your funding for school. 

Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (22-1995)

If you have used your VA benefits before and you are changing your major and/or school, and/or you have been out of school for over one year, fill out the 22-1995 form on eBenefits.  If you are Chapter 35 you would fill out the 22-5495 form.  The form can be submitted online or download a copy and mail it in according to the instruction on the form.  St Mary’s will need a copy of your completed form.

As a St Mary’s student if you begin your program as undeclared and you declare a major, you will need to complete the 22-1995 or 22-5495 form.  Same applies if you change your major.

Change in Enrollment and Student Responsibilities

All changes made after your initial certification should be brought to the attention of the VA Certifying Official so the change can be reported.  The most common changes include:

Failure to report changes may result in termination of benefits, delays in future certification, delays in receiving benefit payments and debt/overpayment with the VA.  Changes may be report to the VA Certifying Official in person, by telephone, or email.  Audits are conducted and changes in units will be reported, but it is ultimately your responsibility to report these changes when they occur to reduce the possibility of an overpayment or possibly an underpayment.

Caution: “W’s”: The VA will not pay for educational benefits for courses from which you have withdrawn, unless the VA determines that there are mitigating circumstances.

Oakland Veteran's Regional Office:
To contact the local VA office, please call 1-800-827-1000. The address for this office is:
Veterans Administration Regional Office, Oakland Federal Building
1301 Clay Street, Room 1300 North
Oakland, CA 94612
Muskogee Main Office:
1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551); Monthly Verification Enrollment: 1-877-823-2378 or, (follow link to "WAVE" program).

UC Berkeley ROTC offers Saint Mary’s College students the opportunity to participate in leadership training leading to a commission as an Army or Air Force officer upon graduation from college.  For more information  about the Army program, please visit or call 510-643-7682.  For information about the Air Force, please visit


BAH Calculator


VA Comparison Tool