For International Students

We welcome a world of students.

Since educational systems differ from country to country, international applicants are evaluated using standards which draw an equivalency between the grading and examination systems in the applicant’s country and the United States. School records, rank in class, performance on national examinations, letters of recommendation and potential for success at Saint Mary’s are considered. Saint Mary’s College of California is authorized by federal law to enroll international students.


In addition to the application requirements, international applicants must submit the following:


About the TOEFL:

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required of all students whose native language is not English. A minimum TOEFL score of 550 paper or 213 computer or 79-80 on the iBT (internet based) is required for admission. Students who wish to apply for a California teaching or school services credential must have their transcripts evaluated by an organization approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Arrange to meet with the Kalmanovitz School of Education’s credential analyst 925.631.4700 for more information.


More about international admissions:

When all materials have been received and reviewed, the appropriate program director will make an admissions decision. Following an admission decision, full acceptance to Saint Mary's, and payment of the initial deposit, information on how to obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility will be sent.

Entry interviews are a required part of the admissions process. Upon arrival at Saint Mary’s, international candidates should arrange for an interview with the appropriate program director. Unconditional admission to a program cannot be granted without this interview.


Applying for a credential program?

For credential programs, applicants with a bachelor’s degree outside the United States are required by CTC to have the degree coursework analyzed to determine its equivalency to academic work done in the United States. Contact the KSOE Credential Office for the names of the organizations which are authorized to conduct these foreign degree transcript evaluations.

Should CTC find the degree not meet the CTC standards for comparability to a U.S. degree from a regionally accredited college, the applicant will either need to obtain a U.S. degree or use a higher degree in place of the bachelor’s degree.


Additional resources: