Transfer FAQ

Answers to our most Frequently Asked Questions.

Transfer students, particularly junior-year transfers, should be aware that they may not be able to fulfill all College and JCL requirements on a schedule that will enable them to graduate “on time.” Many transfer students arrive at Saint Mary’s College needing to complete specific lower-division requirements before they can take the required number (17) of upper-division courses by their hoped-for graduation date. Transfer students can often make up requirements by taking summer-session courses.

  • When should I enroll in the JCL core courses? Transfer students entering Saint Mary’s College in their junior year should enroll in JCL 10 immediately, in their first semester on campus. Because of required spacing of the Program’s sequence (120, 130, 140, 150, 196, 197), transfer students will want to meet with a JCL advisor during the transfer process.
  • Which course requirements can transfer students most easily take during the summer? Students can generally satisfy the first 3 levels of their language requirement at community colleges during the summer.  For the education-based variations of the major, a physical science course that includes a lab is also a good choice for summer. However, Education concentration students are required to take the equivalent of our Biology 50-51, “General Biology.”
  • How can I learn about JCL course requirements?  You should meet with the JCL Program Director Monica Fitzgerald (  as soon as possible to determine accurately what requirements you must still complete and to complete a careful program leading to a timely graduation.